Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Gosh, that cart looks swell in front of that horse

The Much Admired Professor McGonigle was gracious enough to talk to me last night about seminaries. He is fascinating. I felt like I should have been sitting at his feet taking diligent notes. P McG talked to me about seminaries. I wish I'd had a tape recorder. My heart still belongs to ETS, the seminary about 2 miles from my apartment, but I've started to warm --just slightly-- to the idea of VTS. Good ole Virginia Theological Seminary is in a league of its own, and sort of a known quantity since I grew up in the area and my former roommates are VTS graduates. However as its name implies VTS isn't actually in Texas. I'm not really excited about the idea of possibly leaving Austin, but I'm opening up a little, just a little, to seminaries outside of the Lone Star.
***

The Close was a good, informative read. I'm not sure if I'd want to be best pals with Chloe Breyer --the young, liberal, Harvard grad who chronicled her first year of General Theological Seminary--, but I'd gladly share my Greek notes and a slice of pie with her. Not that I've actually taken Greek, but I've got a knack for languages and I suspect she's not a heavy eater. Just a guess. There didn't seem to be a lot of God in her seminarian experience, which reinforced P. McG's observation that seminary isn't a priest maker.

***
Pastoral Snare didn't end especially well. She sent me a nasty email. It was a typical break-up letter, so the name calling, personal attacks and the stilted, over-formal language were all par for the course. I only read enough to feel embarrassed for her. I can't blame her though, besides, I could have written the same letter to Michael when he first broke my heart. Sure the names would have been different, but the wild-armed flailing around for anything that could possibly hurt the person who hurt me so badly would have been the same. That being said, I'm glad it's over.

This post was brought to you by People for the Ethical Treatment of Asterisks

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're gonna leave Texas, do consider Anglican seminaries in Canada. A friend went to the College of Emmanuel and St. Chad in Saskatoon and loved it. And tuition is much, much cheaper in Canada! Just a thought. (I am a native of Alexandria, VA, and even though it was one mile from my house, I would have tried hard to go somewhere else. If you're curious as to why, feel free to ask!)

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served