Friday, February 17, 2006

College now

So obviously the beta tester version of college was a little buggy. Now I'm going to go back and by gum I will make it stick, even if it is almost ten years later (sidebar freak-out: Ten years! how is that even possible? People who have been out of college for 10 years are grown-ups! They have spouses and kids named Tyler and Madison and Hannah. They listen to Norah Jones and drink $6 cups of coffee in which no actual coffee is involved. They are not on hugging-basis with all the big scary bouncer guys on Red River; their dogs are not known by every body-piercer and tattoo artist on Sixth Street.)

I'm in the process of enrolling in Saint Edward's University, particularly their New College program for non-traditional students, and this time I'm going to do everything that I didn't do the first go 'round: take classes I want, have a major I like and take my own sweet time. Back at James Madison I unquestioningly took classes I was told to take, had a major that interested me in theory but not in practice and, my first semester, had something like 21 credits. I wasn't really actively involved in my education. Big mistake.

Now that I'm getting a second chance (I hope, I haven't actually been accepted yet) I am going to take a page for Ol' Blue Eyes book and do it my way. Plus, at $550 per credit hour, I'm not going to waste my time or my money on classes that don't interest me. I'm going to take professors, not classes and do what I darn well feel.

My intended degree plan is a major in English Writing and Rhetoric (fun because I love writing, yet sensible because I work at a newspaper and already write for them in a limited capacity) with a minor in Religious Studies. Now all I need to do is get accepted, shake several thousand dollars out of that great big money tree that grows in the spare bedroom and commence to commencing. Piece of cake, right? Right?

This post was brought to you by a number two pencil and an apple for the teacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served