Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Confirmation, or lack thereof

I've waited 7 years to be confirmed. I waited for the right parish, the right point in my spiritual development, the right priest (I was going to say the right bishop but that throws off my alliteration, so forget it) and finally it all came together.

and I missed it.

Not missed it exactly. I wanted to be there --wanted desparately-- but at 10:30 Sunday morning I was at Vanderbilt Medical Center in room 2007 of Thoracic Stepdown watching the tubes drain the cancer and blood from my grandfather.

I wish I could give more comfort to my family, but no man can be a prophet in his own town and no girl can be a pastor in a room full of people who've powdered her bottom.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Welcome to revgals!
I'm sorry to hear of the difficult times. I pray that treatment will go well, and that you all have the strength to get through this.

7:23 PM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

Another welcome to RevGals!

I recently went through some long hours in the hospital with my mother, who died after emergency bypass surgery. That first day, before the surgery when we were in the ER, I remember feeling completely unable to communicate anything about faith to my mom...I had my little BCP with me (I poach your people's liturgical resources with great regularity)...I could have asked Mom if she wanted me to pray with her or read a Psalm to her or something, but I was just mush inside. Thank God for my pastor, who when he got there borrowed my prayer book and took care of things.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Sounds like you were exactly where you needed to be. . .

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome from me too! I'm so sorry you missed your confirmation, but I am sure that
1) you are right where you need to be
2) You are ministering to your grandfather and every other person there by your presence. Indeed you are a pastor!

In 1991 I was given the gift of spending the last 3 weeks of my grandfather's life in the hospital with him (we didn't know that he was going to die when he did).

You're in my prayers!

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served