Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Trouble in mind

Why are people my age so ready to hate Christians? Like it's some sign of education to express this particular form of bigotry.
Hate a Jew? "You anti-Semite!"
Hate a Muslim? "You Ugly American!"
Hate a Christian? "How about a beer?"

I can't help but think we've done something wrong to make people think like this. Apparently "Christian" is just short hand for "stupid hate-filled bigot redneck" or "stupid hate-filled bigot rich guy."

Now, in their defense, there are a good number of stupid hate-filled rednecks and probably a fair few stupid hate-filled rich guys who call themselves Christians, but we all know that there are stupid hate-filled people all over the place, they're like Starbucks and cockroaches.

Still, how did this current vehement dislike of Christians start? More importantly, how do we battle it? Love and patience, I know, I know but what do you say when your friends start badmouthing a group of people to which you proudly belong?

It's a difficult road. I don't need to tell you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

No joke! It is not cool to be intolerant unless it is about Christians. (Especially certain ones.)

I wish I had a good answer. What can we do except say what we can, seasoned with salt :-) and a lot of grace...and stand?

It is sad.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I hear ya sistah.
Nicely put how people think it's an educated stance to turn a nose to Christians.....when they're not educated enough to realize that they're turning their nose to the Pat Robertsons and Jerry Falwels....who don't represent the rest.

Best we can do is educate. "Yes I *AM* a Christian....BUT let me point out...what I'm NOT......and what MANY Christians are NOT"

10:30 PM  
Blogger Rachel Nguyen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Rachel Nguyen said...

I couldn't figure out how to edit my comment, so I just deleted it. Here is the edited version.


It was even worse when I was a Unitarian Universalist Christian. There I was in a whole denomination that deeply distrusted Christians. I found the only way to handle it was to recognize that the lashing out was a way of dealing with deep inner pain. Most of them had been hurt by their Christian history. I stopped taking it personally and was able to just show them that there is another way to be a Christian.

At first I felt the need to try and differentiate myself from the 'fill in the blank, unpleasant Christians on tv' (The ones who carry placards like "God hates queers" and stuff.) But eventually I stopped trying to explain the differences and just acted differently: loving, accepting, forgiving, compassionate. It was one of the reasons I think God kept me in the UU church for so long after my conversion. I truly believe it made a difference in people's attitudes.

By the way, I became an Episcopalian last Sunday! Yeah! LOL.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served