Friday, May 19, 2006

RevGal Friday Five: Words

"Please tell us five words you had to think about really hard before saying them out loud for the first time, or that you discovered you had misapprehended when someone corrected your pronunciation."

1) Erudite. Was it ehr-YUH-dite or ehr-YOO-dite? Of course, I lived in fear of mispronouncing this word because if you mispronounce erudite, you're definitely not.

2) Fecund. Was is FEE like feces or FEH like feckless (feel free to draw some conclusions about my feelings towards kids back then)

3) Halcyon. This was a word I botched up for a good 5 years before someone pointed out it wasn't pronounced "hal-ick-on." I still feel like a moron when I think about it.

4) Schubert. Also in the moron category. Pronounced it Shoo-BEAR (a francais, non?) until someone pulled me aside and said "um, it's Shoo-BERT, you idiot" (thanks dad)

5) Collect. (a little Anglican humor, y'all)

3 Comments:

Blogger will smama said...

Good words! I learned from you and linked you in my post: preacher, blogger or procrastinator

Welcome to the webring!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

The Lutherans get #5 too ;)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Welcome!! This is a great list!

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served