Friday, June 16, 2006

You are feeling Sleeeeepy: RevGals Friday 5 (now with more WASPINESS!)

1. In what kind of environment do you sleep best? (e.g. amount of light and noise, temperature, number of pillows, breathe-right strip, sleeping in the buff, etc.)

You remember that scene in Gone with the Wind when Scarlett is standing up against that beautiful David O. Selznik sunset and vows she'll never go hungry again? Well, I had a similar moment last year, only it was about bedding. After never, ever sleeping on a good mattress --or on sheets that had a thread count higher than say, 12-- when I moved into my new apartment and position at the paper I went full metal luxe, giant hand-carved 4 poster canopy bed, silk shantung everything. In fact people stop me on the street to ask me about my bedroom (I write about it a lot in my dayjob).

Answer to the real question: nothing but nightcream

2. How much sleep do you need to feel consistently well-rested? Well, I typically go to bed around 1:00 a.m. and wake up feeling pretty well-rested around 7:45. Of course, I just get up to attend to my toilette (and let Dozer attend to his) and head back to bed to loll around for another hour.

How much can you get by on? I'm going on 4 hours right now, and I'm struggling.

What are the consequences when you don't get enough? Strangely enough, I get seasick. Also, I make poor decisions (I blame the black and gold lurex toreador outfit fiasco of 2001 on severe sleep deprivation)

3. Night owl or morning person? Night owl, definitely. In fact, the name of Grandpapa's yacht was The Night Owl*.

4. Favorite cure for insomnia? I never name names, how dare you ask? Ha. I jest. Actually, there's an amazing set of recordings done by Paul Oakenfold for a British radio station (Galaxy 101) called "Urban Soundtracks" where actors or musicians narrate tell classic stories --the Jungle Book, Treasure Island, Ben Hur-- over trance/dance music, very hypnotic. Personal favorites include Honor Blackman (aka Pussy Galore) reading "Cleopatra" and Billy Bragg narrating "Treasure Island" That'll put me right to sleep and give me lovely dreams

5. To snooze or not to snooze? Why or why not? I am emphatically pro-snooze. That way I can wake up gently. Of course, when Dozer hears the alarm go off, it's his cue to put his big drooly jowls on my face and sneeze. Refreshing!



* See? WASP-TASTIC!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insightful and revealing, as per usual, Rhiannon.
As for #4, others’ snoring works well for me. (If it's my own, I'm already ... well you see what I mean)
This sonic soporific can be supplied by the significant other, the cat under the bed, or group snoring. With the latter – in a barracks of about 120 full-bore roarers, they begin randomly but soon synchronize into a rumble that swells and recedes like heavy surf on a rocky shore. Quite soothing really, bears me off to the arms of Morpheus every time.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served