Friday, September 01, 2006

Ecstasy

St Teresa of Avila prayed for the removal of the outer signs of her ecstasy. Was it humility? Would I ask for it to stop? I think I would. For as much as a showboat that I am, outward displays seem vulgar…or do I mean "embarrassing"? I'm not brave enough to answer that question, right now.

I've received the ecstasy once, it's the most important thing that's ever happened to me.

There's no use talking about it, at least as long as we're stuck with language.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Nguyen said...

ditto the life changingness of an ecstatic experience.

Mine was 16 years ago this November and it chalks right up there with the first time I made love with my husband, having babies, getting dunked.

I don't talk about it much, either. Not because I find it embarrassing, but because the only thing I can really say about it was that it was the turning point of my life.

What is interesting at S. Teresa is that she doesn't want the ecstasy to go away. (It is a HUGE gift, of course) but she wants it to be more subtle. Just between her and God. Like a little secret.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I, for one, would appreciate a bit more restraint in the matter of divine intrusion and I wish I had a religion that wasn't so damned inconvenient
Fortunately, I rarely get what I wish for.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Rachel Nguyen said...

LOL, Glen!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served