Wednesday, June 20, 2007

For Your Listening Pleasure


It's raining here in Texas, a real gullywasher. My hair is still wet from the mad dash from the parking lot 4 hours ago and I've been listening to my Rainy Day Mix, which I have thoughtfully uploaded for your enjoyment.

A Dream - John Cale. A reading from Andy Warhol's diary off the John Cale/Lou Reed album "Songs for Drella"

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone - Al Green. A great cover of the Bill Withers' classic.

Apocalypse - Wyclef Jean from "The Carnival" the smartest, most orchestrally beautiful hip hop album I've ever heard. The haunting cuban-flavored soprano vocalizations are chilling.

Black Coffee - Peggy Lee. From the 1956 album of the same name. What happens when the Fever cools down.

Black Winds- Little John and The Monks. Spooky 1965 B-side from the only single this little-known Pacific Northwest garage band released.

Blister 2000- Violent Femmes. Bouncy horn-filled revisioning of their 1982 indie pop hit, Blister in the Sun.

Bossa Nova (Luckiest Girl) - Shivaree. An arch bossa nova from tremble-voiced darling, Ambrosia Paisley.

Cold-Blooded Old Times - Smog. Catchy lo-fi gem from Bill Callahan's alter-ego.

Falling is Like This- Ani DiFranco. Sweet, lyrical effort from everyone's favorite "righteous babe".

Gone Til November- Wyclef Jean. Another turn from the once and future Fugee. Before I was a good girl I had a very odd night at one of his after parties. Very odd.

I'm Wrong About Everything"- John Wesley Harding. A wry little folk-noir ditty. Come on, we've all been there.

Let My Love Open the Door (e. cola mix)- Pete Townshend. The second of three tracks on this mix also found on the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack. A great remix of an otherwise borderline-schmaltzy song from the king of the windmills. If I ever did a contemporary worship service, this would be the recessional.

Live and Let Die- Guns and Roses. Shut up okay? Just shut up.

Nobody But You- Lou Reed. Also off "Songs for Drella", Nobody But You is a poppy little bossa about Andy Warhol's hangers on.

Satellite- Dave Matthews Band. As a high school student in Virginia in the mid 90's, "Under the Table and Dreaming" was practically issued to everyone with a learner's permit.

Say Yes- Elliott Smith. Beautiful wistful song off "Either/Or"

Stormy Weather- Etta James. Listen. What else is there to say?

Sometimes You Just Can't Win- Mouse and The Traps. A bittersweet ballad from an underappreciated 1960's garage band.

Bonus Track

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ain't No Sunshine is one of my favoritist songs. I have 4 or 5 versions of it on my iPod.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

hey I just discovered this... glad you also like Black Coffee by Peggy Lee (although "do right" is still my favorite song)

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served