Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday Five: Time, Talents and Tests


1. Personality tests; love them or hate them?
Well, there are personality tests and personality tests. I've got a good deal of faith in Myers Briggs-y sort of thingums, but my faith waivers just a little in the scientific basis of those "what sort of kisser are you?" creations.


Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture?
Y'all, I'm as practical as jumper cables and five times as fun.

I'm creative (e.g.: the time I was told to bring something creative to my pal Torvald's shindig and I brought a taxidermied armadillo full of home-made cookies) and intellectual (functionally bisexual Greek dudes, unhappy German men with moustaches and Mommy Issues, I can talk about 'em all!) but I don't think I get enough credit for my practical side. I'm in school full time, I work full time, I've got a full schedule of volunteering and ministry and I try to keep an active social life and, for good or ill, I do this mostly without a close support system. I couldn't do what I do without the grace of God, but then again I couldn't do it if I were just a silly girl teetering around in Manolos, either.

3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had your yet? If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be?

The moral of this story is be careful what you wish for. I worked my tail off when I moved to Austin to become a beloved fixture, and between my blog for the newspaper and my turns at go-go dancing and clubbing on Red River, I succeeded. Maybe too well. I stayed in bed over Memorial Day weekend because every single time. I went out the previous week, I mean no matter where I was --dry cleaners, Mexican grocers on the wrong side of town, dog park bent over picking up excretia, someone there knew me and wanted to talk. As an introvert (what? I totally am.) that was just a little too much for me to bear. I just vanted to be left alone.

4. If you were given a 2 year sabbatical ( oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us...
I'm not sure what it would be, but I think I know where it would be. the small windblown island of Lindisfarne calls me back just as surely as any siren ever did. I miss it with my whole heart.

5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you.
Extemporaneous prayer. My goodness am I crap at that. I mean there are a bunch of other talents that I'd love to have, but I'd never be called to use…playing boogie woogie piano springs to mind…but let's face it, I'm going to be called on to pray on the fly EVENTUALLY and it fills me with dread. I think I'm going to start memorizing collects tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

praying for you on the extempore prayer front- it is not as complicated or difficult as many make it out to be, I beleive God recieves our words however eloquent we manage to be :-)

Graet play!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara B. said...

Oh man, I hear you on the extemporaneous prayer! I am beyond 'crap' on that one!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I have a couple of good stories about things I said when I was first learning to pray "on the fly"...

Love this, very intrigued by the newspaper thing, I would love to do something like this...sorry to hear that you had to wear the dark glasses, because you were so famous.

1:07 PM  
Blogger hip2b said...

I will immediately look up Lindisfarne.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served