Friday, July 13, 2007

A (sort of asinine) Friday Five!


1. Former U.S. First Lady "Lady Bird" Johnson died this week. In honor of her love of the land and the environment, share your favorite flower or wildflower.
Lady Bird was a member of our parish, she was married at my church and our rector gave her communion regularly. I am praying for him, as he is almost certainly the one presiding over the funeral and memorial services.

Lady Bird's legacy lives on, not just in her beautiful Wildflower Center, but along the lonesome highways of central Texas where every spring, the roadsides burst into bloom with bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush. My favorite flower is dogwood, which isn't found in my part of the Lone Star state, but a close second is Lady Bird's beloved bluebonnet. Here's a picture my friend took of me on the side of the road one spring.



2. A man flew almost 200 miles in a lawn chair, held aloft by helium balloons. Share something zany you'd like to try someday.

I don't know about pre-meditated zaniness, doesn't it sort of defeat the point? On the other hand, there is a cute Australian movie called Danny Deckchair about a very similar prank.

3. Do you have an iPhone? If not, would you want one?
Why would I spend $300 on a piece of technology which, even in the unlikely event that it doesn't get sat on/dropped into a pool/chewed by a dog/driven over by a Cadillac or left in the Neiman Marcus dressing room, would be out of date in a year and a half? I could spend it on something sensible like a lovely pair of basic Jimmy Choo sandals in the buttery soft leather of dead baby angel skins and with proper care will last for-ev-er.

On sale for $307.50 (orig. $615) at Net-a-Porter.com.

It's about investment, people.


4. Speaking of which, Blendtec Blenders put an iPhone in one of their super-duper blenders as part of their "Will It Blend?" series. What would YOU like to see ground up, whizzed up or otherwise pulverized in a blender?
Seriously? A Will It Blend question? As long as it prevents scurvy and tastes good with tequila, I'm easy to please.

5. According to News of the Weird, a jury in Weld County, Colo., declined to hold Kathleen Ensz accountable for leaving a flier containing her dog's droppings on the doorstep of U.S. Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, apparently agreeing with Ensz that she was merely exercising free speech. What do you think? Is doggy doo-doo protected by the First Amendment?
Poop in light of Constitutional Law? Y'all, this is beneath RevGals. I'm not answering it.


For the record, I did not like either of these Friday Five options. They didn't exactly allow much room for introspection.

8 Comments:

Blogger reverendmother said...

Here's an idea--don't do the ones you don't like. Life's too short.

12:38 PM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

I'm with you on the shoes. (LutheranChik being in desperate need of new shoes, and a fairly good long-term steward of same.) I really don't need to be on the cutting edge of technological innovation. Which is perhaps why -- gasp -- my frugal parents' rotary-dial phone is still hanging on my kitchen wall.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take the iPhone...those heels would kill me :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Ditto ReverendMother.

Remember...we are volunteers here. And as likely to get our feelings hurt as anyone else.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Hot Cup Lutheran said...

wow you must have amazing legs to be able to wear those shoes! I have no balance so if I wore them that would be my answer to the helium/lawn chair event. Even though I played today on option #2 - I agree with you... not the usual good stuff. But reflective of "summer blahs everyone needs vacation NOW" vibe...

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, I thought your comment on the revgals page was a little testy, but this is kind of mean spirited.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I'm just going to say that I couldn't wear the shoes either. too bad.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey aren't you a Texan? You would go all out for Lady Bird. Hope you write about that.

Sometimes i skip the fridayfive too, it seems lately, I don't have enough time for it.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served