Friday, October 20, 2006

Revgals Friday Five: Word Association

The Revgals are doing a Friday 5 word association with words found in Job. Here's my offering.


Whirlwind.
In light of recent events (i.e. the impending nuptials of my ex and his girlfriend) it reminds me of the phrase "whirlwind romance" which is what Michael used to describe his relationship with her the day he dumped me. It's amazing how many whirlwinds we get caught in, from day to day to year to year…we get swept up in something, some cause or some person and they become the center of our lives for good and ill.

Whirlwinds are exciting, but they're also dangerous. Especially if you're guilty --as I have been so many times-- of whirling around something unhealthy. Not the easy targets like drugs or alcohol but of far more insidious storms, like gossip and jadedness.

Foundation. I've been reading PeaceBang's Beauty Tips for Ministers, so foundation made me think of make-up, which I rarely wear. I'm lucky enough to be young with good skin and a dramatic face so I slap on some lip gloss and I'm good to go. I can do the full-metal makeup too, including false eyelashes, fake hair and the whole mess, but I don't really look that different. The left picture is my dear friend Betty Ca$h celebrating my gigantic Birthday Throwdown, where I was wearing the works. On the right Betty and I take a shot together after a night of mechanical bullriding where I had a bit of lipgloss and maybe some brow pencil (can't remember). See, not much difference.


Anyway, I've been trying to revamp my image from "tongue-in-cheek retro goth darling" to something a little more palatable to service in church. I decided I needed a look. I can't wear suits because they look matronly and I can't quite get away with the eccentric garb many women of a certain age wear with such aplomb. So I decided on a theme of dark colors and soft, luxe fabrics, kept interesting by unusual earrings or accessories. I've got a dramatic face and a very big presence so monochrome suits me. Bright colors --which tend to look good on me as well-- can be much of a muchness. Last night I bought the staples of what will be my fall and winter wardrobe: three pairs of light wale corduroys in black, chocolate and hunter green with a modern, flattering boot cut shape and two light weight cashmere blend cable sweaters with a flattering deep v-neck and 3/4 sleeves, which are both slimming and very soft.

To top it all off I also bought two pairs of shoes because I did not own a single pair of church appropriate, comfortable shoes. I bought two pairs of loafer/mules in a very conservative cut but…and get this…one pair's purple and the other one's green.




Lightning. I love lightning. I love the electric feel in the air before a big storm. I love it streaking to the ground. When I was young and my grandfather took me out on the Chesapeake we'd occasionally run into a freak storm. He'd make me go below deck and lie on the bed, looking up through the skylight at the lightning coursing through the sky. I always wanted to be at the bow, calling it on. "Come on! Come on!" I'd scream. Daring for it to hit me. This is a storm on the Chesapeake, right by our old house.



Den. Of sin, of cubs, of thieves.

Prey. We prey and we pray and we prey again. It is always so. Lord forgive us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

wonderful post- love the photos- and the shoes....

5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the shoes are lovely!

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....laughter... I just visited PeaceBang not that long ago... I think she would approve of your shoes! Loved the photos, too.

d

7:57 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

You are TOTALLY GORGEOUS!!! You're like a zaftig Betty Page!

I love you more without as much make-up, what a great face! And I HEARTILY APPROVE 100% with your fashion choices. You keep me away from muu-muus and I'll do the same for you, soul sister.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served