Thursday, November 23, 2006

Blind leading the blind

Strange things have been a brewin' and all of the sudden it seems as if things are becoming Real. Much of what is happening I can't talk about because it involves other people and their struggles. I always knew it was a burden and a gift to care for people, but I don't think I understood what an awesome responsibility it is when someone places their spiritual well-being or troubles in your hands and says "help."

Here's the thing though, I can't help. Not yet, not the way they want or need me to. I'm not a trained therapist, I haven't been to divinity school. I'm just another yahoo who is muddling through.

and yet.

And yet I think I will be able to help these people someday, and I think they see that. Next semester I'm taking a psych course for those who are in spiritual care-giving occupations and boy howdy do I need it. I want to be a good pastor, but right now I need to focus on doing what I can to help these folks, but also getting through college, not slacking off at work and really taking care of myself. I don't want to burn out, and I could see how that could happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served