Friday, July 13, 2007

Actually, it wasn't.


My comment on the Friday Five wasn't mean spirited, and if the comment was "testy" then so be it, what's wrong with testy?

I'll admit I probably just should have ignored it, but since I usually like the Friday Five and I skipped last week, I didn't. A mistake? Maybe. Wouldn't be my first.

We don’t have to agree to be a community. We don't have to look alike and talk alike and sometimes even walk alike. I didn't like something because it was below what I thought were otherwise excellent standards. I said why I didn't like it and I said that it was the exception.

That's it.

I didn't personally attack anyone, I didn't leave a bitchy anonymous email (ahem) and if I hurt someone's feelings, well, I'm sorry your feelings are hurt, but --to quote one of my editors-- it's not about the person, it's about the product.

I gotta say I'm pretty surprised at all the anonymous emails clutching their collective pearls in horror that I would ever say anything so hateful.

Hateful? Geeze. I don't know how long you have to go without sex to get that uptight, but I'm on year five (and these are good years, while gravity is still working for me, so it's like TWICE as long in regular years) and I'm still nowhere near that tightly wound. --these are the jokes, ladies-- Relax.

Ladies, this is not the sort of stuff that should get our clericals in a bunch. Let's calm down, butch up and move on.

UPDATE: Oh my gosh y'all, I had no idea there was a full fledged kerfuffle going on! Crazy man, crazy.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Powers That Be over there frequently can't get over themselves. There are times they want to be Thought Police. I'd label some of them controlling to the EXTREME.

I didn't read any of your postings/comments as anything but a statement of how you feel. I think they over-reacted.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo!
They just threatened you with removal! Over a little criticism!

No wonder the previous commenter went anonymous. I think I will too. I might have to be REMOVED if I agree with you!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something to be said for kindness, civility, and restraint.

I didn't read your original comment, and I am not one of the regular volunteers that keeps RGBP running, but I'm pretty appalled at what you wrote here.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I have nothing to do with the RGBP leadership, and I speak only for myself here when I say that I was mildly offended by your use of the word "asinine." I didn't think your comment on RGBP was testy, and I thought your play was great, and I think it's totally fine to say that it wasn't your cup of tea but you participated anyway. But to use a word like asinine, in the title of post, was what irked me. Because it implied that those of us who enjoyed playing this week are asinine as well.

I am sad that this was not a week when reflecting on/engaging with a major pop culture event or on the news and media of the past week was satisfactory for you. For many of us, it was excellent fun and a wonderful diversion. I understand that it wasn't doing it for you this week, but I personally felt belittled just by that word. Without it, I doubt I would have any feelings on it at all.

That's just my cent or so. I hope you have a great weekend ahead.

peace

8:23 PM  
Blogger The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

Wow, you still allow anonymous posters. How 'bout that? For a non-Harry Potter post you sure stirred the cauldron.

Sorry to read about your grandfather and uncle. Lord hear our prayer.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Theresa Coleman said...

Yes, you sure did.
Sounds like you've had a hard week.
I hope it gets better for you.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

FWIW, the Vicar of Hogsmeade played the Harry option in a way that was deeply spiritually reflective.

I have no complaints about RevGals whatsoever, but I do support everyone's right to speak their peace. I appreciate what you say about not all having to agree in order to be a community. Amen! If only our churches could learn that.

Peace, Rhiannon!

Mags

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now as for me, I read your Friday posting in light of your Thursday posting and was, as a result, unshocked.

Thought th' nature photos were quite lovely (and the flowers were nice loking, too.)

As for th' unanswered question: public health issues cloaked in th' mantle of free speech leave me ired. Free speech as free speech is another matter alltogether.

the anonymity of G.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I see you don't have the "Revgals" code any more, and I am sad.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served