Monday, July 23, 2007

Scowls and Slime


I'm feeling very serious and professorial today in my beige mohair cardie, glasses and hair done up in two little buns. I sort of want to scowl at someone, but I am not a good scowler. The problem is I can't just scowl with my eyes, I have to scowl with my mouth too, except then my mouth goes all funny and pouty and I end up looking like a petulant 6 year old which, while legitimately fearsome in its own way, does not evoke the sort of terror/professional respect I would ordinarily prefer.

***

My ethics class, which concludes next Saturday, cannot possible be over soon enough for my liking. I'm not usually contemptuous of people, but wow, I really am of one member of the group. Thinking of her actually sickens me. It's not just a mistake she's making. People make mistakes all the time, but she's smart enough to know the right thing and is perverting something good and pure into something slimy just to protect herself. Actually, I won't call her slimy. It's an insult to gastropods everywhere.

I know I should be able to suck it up, but somehow I can't get past that people in an ethics class are doing unethical things. I'm not sure if they realize they're unethical or if they know it and are doing it anyway.

I'm not sure which is worse.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

ooh, sounds slimy and kind of sticky. it's a tricky situation with your classmate...more than you want to deal with.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible for you to tell any stories or give any details? I find myself very confused.

When I took my obligatory Ethical Analysis and Advocacy in seminary, I found it a very trying class, but in what sounds like a completely different way. The class served its purpose with many of my classmates: bringing them to acknowledge and work with arguments on behalf of stands they disagreed with. I found their agony extremely embarrassing and exhausting.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twin Buns? How bang-on for a baxter such as yourself.

As for ethics class ...…’bout time to shake the slime from your sandals and don’t look back.

Kinda wonderin’ though ……
C on th’ exam? You, who were a saint around the watering holes and a ministering angel amongst the burly-q and roller derby set …… musta been a flawed test.

G.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh ethics? I sound jaded beyond my years here but it sounds kinda like the church to me...

maybe you should give her a little gift of antibacterial wipes (hee hee)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served