Sunday, July 15, 2007

Happy Birthday to me.


And now I'm 28. It was a quiet day, ethics class, lunch and an early dinner with the grandparents, then over to Rio Rita for some truly insane mid-60's French scopitone films featuring covers of American rock or pop songs and French girls with giant hair dancing in fringe bikinis for no discernable reason.

My Nashville grandfather is out of ICU and it looks like my uncle will probably live, which is more than I can say for my couch and ottoman which fell victim to two frustrated dogs this afternoon. I don't have the time, money or energy right now to replace the cushions and reupholster the ottoman, and I really shouldn't buy a new couch since I'm going to be moving SOMEWHERE within the next two years or so.

Speaking of which, after ethics class this morning (where I got an A on my paper and a C+ on the exam I was sure I'd failed) I visited my grandparents for lunch. As we sat down to our soup, I mentioned something about having to move eventually. My grandfather put down his spoon and said

"Don't move."

and I could tell from the tone of his voice that he didn't mean "don't switch apartments" he meant "don't go to seminary away from Austin and leave me all alone."

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

oh, that's hard to hear (from your grandpa).

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Rhiannon! Hmmm, now I am wondering if there is a similar taboo on abrreviating Bday as there is with Xmass... Seen the sensitivity of some of your readers I better be careful ;-)

I know the after-church-brunch is not completely your thing, but if you do show up today I'll buy you lunch!

T

7:41 AM  
Blogger DogBlogger said...

What Diane said.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

And what diane said, about your grandfather's words.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

happy b-day!

I'm sorry about your grandpa...it's hard to hear things like that. As the voice of experience, I say: I feel that.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served