Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday Five: Holy Week, Batman!

1. Will this Sunday be Palms only, Passion only, or hyphenated?
According to my pocket liturgical calendar (without which I simply could not survive because I am a dork like that) it's The Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday. I like it because it acknowledges the Palm Sunday tradition that we know and love, but pulls the focus to where it truly belongs.

2. Maundy Thursday Footwashing: Discuss.

Oh honey no, I'm Episcopalian, we don't do pastoral pedi's. Not that I would mind washing someone else's feet, but unless your last name is Nguyen or Kim and I'm paying you good money, you're not laying a finger on my toes.

3. Share a particularly meaningful Good Friday worship experience.

Last year was especially moving as it was a sort of passion play --the first one I've attended. I have a difficult time going to Good Friday services because I'm so emotionally worn down by Maundy Thursday, which I can never escape without bawling my eyes out.

4. Easter Sunrise Services--choose one:

a) "Resurrection tradition par excellence!"
b) "Eh. As long as it's sunrise with coffee, I can live with it."
c) "[Yawn] Can't Jesus stay in the tomb just five more minutes, Mom?!?"

I used to do sunrise service as a youth group leader in college and I suppose that when I'm ordained, if it's REALLY important to some folks, I'll haul myself out of bed and do it for them. Personally I don't get anything from the whole thing and it makes me feel like I should be sitting in the back, chain smoking gauloises and drinking Bloody Mary's out of a thermos.

5. Complete this sentence: It just isn't Easter without...
A hat…and gloves. And Jesus too, I suppose, but while Jesus is with me all year long, I can only get away with white gloves a few times a year.

2 Comments:

Blogger reverendmother said...

Hee hee... this all cracked me up.

I'm getting the pedi *in anticipation* of the footwashing... is that wrong?

1:24 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

love the foot washing thoughts!... and can understand the Good Friday tears- I can realte to that

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served