Sunday, April 22, 2007

What a...


So just a quick survey. When confronted with The Most Unpleasant Church-Visitor in God's Green Garden, it's never okay to respond to a statement with the phrase "well fuck you, too" is it?

No? Well, it was worth a shot.

Every Sunday evening those of us who participate in the last Eucharist of the day gather for dinner and fellowship in the refectory. Usually it's lovely, with clergy and seminarians and just plain ole goofballs like me all sitting around a table or two, discussing whatever's on our mind.

Today we had a visitor. Usually I am all in favor for visitors because even though we're a huge parish --the 16th largest Episcopal parish in the country-- everyone should be made to feel welcome, whether they're first timers or lifers. Because I tend to be a bit, um, effervescent, (that's a nice way to say loud-mouthed and overly friendly) I'm usually the one woman welcome wagon.

"So are you a new member or are you visiting?"

"I hope I'm just visiting, I hate Texas"

"Oh, well this is Austin, it's not like the rest of Texas"

"Blah blah blah Austin are egomaniacs, this place isn't special, blah blah blah death rates"

and it just went on. He hated everything, knew more about everything than everyone, and even though I felt pity in my heart for someone who so clearly was looking for an external fix (if he can just move to the right place he'll be happy) for internal misery he just made me want to give him a sock in the nose.

Still, you should be proud. I didn't say anything.

Well, except for that he should write Hallmark cards.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sapio said...

Yeah, we once had a visitor who 1)arrived half an hour early and asked why the sanctuary lights weren't on, 2)complained that we had the heat set too low,and e)enumerated the many failings of our sound system. I was tempted to give the response you suggested.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Scoops served